3.10.2013

white bears.

my field trip to see a play and eat and drink in wonderful white bear lake minnesota!
by sven

   a friend of a friend is currently playing florence unger in the 'the odd couple (female version)', at the lakeshore players theatre in white bear lake minnesota. we agreed to go. with tickets purchased and plans made and extensive preparations completed, the night began...


the first things I encountered were pretty rural scenes...


I see the ice is still holding up:


   a short hop, skip and a jump through lovely centerville minnesota and I arrived at my destination:
white bear lake minnesota to eat and drink and see a play! 


   in white bear lake there is a special down town area with lots of good shops and delicious food purveyors and libations experts. there is a nice home town feel in white bear lake, and everyone seemed very pleasant and happy you were there. and I was happy to be there. 
   I started out my evening arriving earlier then planned. I went into the cozy and venerable 617 cocktail lounge, so named for it's former and original address, same location, different address...don't ask.





   having wanted to come here for years, I finally made it. I order a drink and retire to one of the over-sized booths. it is a good place to while away the hours. hmmm, not sure how to describe the decor, a classic 60s lounge for sure, it's a melange of nautical, english tudor and modern? the service was very friendly and efficient, the drinks very good and the locals welcoming. I wouldn't change a thing at the 617 cocktail lounge!
   after, I went next door to truly, a really nice gift shop. gretchen, the lady in the shop, was nice to me and answered all of my questions even though I had interrupted her dinner of french toast! I enjoyed asking her about the local artists they feature in truly so much I forgot to take any pictures! next time. gretchen, who lives 6 blocks away from truly, seems to embody the 'feel' of white bear lake, they seem to know some secret. well, I won't spoil it for them!
   I did see something in white bear lake I had never seen before...a bird aviary in the waiting room of a dentist...I guess it helps to calm the patients.



?



  ...but then it was off around the corner to...washington square!


   my dinner of fish tacos with corn tortillas, beans, rice, fresh onions, cilantro, lime, really nice fruit salsa and guacomole was excellent! and the folks I was with seemed to agree. we like it here at washington square! 
   our only complaint was being seated in some kind of 'adjunct' room. the main areas were really hopping with all kinds of glamorous white bear lakians, but not ours. I never had to go to school in one of those prefab trailers, the kind I see nowadays around some of the local schools, who's student body has out grown the main school. I always wondered if that wouldn't be a little disconcerting, now I think I know what it's like. oh well the room wasn't too bad, I just like being 'where the action is'! tip: opt out if given your druthers.
   then, a little while later we drove exactly 6 blocks to the theatre, a neat little converted church. the play took a little to get warmed up, but then the cast really came through. cindy was very good as the florence character and so was the rest of the cast. well done.

bravvoo!

   as you know dear listener, all good things must come to an end. but all in all it was a fine night, full of heartfelt conversation, good food, libations, performances and oh...don't forget wonderful white bear lake!


whew! back in good old columbus, good night!
sven.




   



















No comments :