2.19.2013

strange days indeed.



   anyone for horses? photo taken late 70's at the sunrise ranch. my home as a teen. over 1 million wild stories (1 million?!? - ed.) come back to me as I look at this picture and recall those formative years. the ranch was located in stacy, minnesota. 15 or so miles just to the north of where I live now. these 80 acres bordered the north end of carlos avery wildlife management area (my current home sits on 11 acres bordering it on the southern end).
   one of the cool things about this spread was the rustic 'lounge' area located at the front of the pole barn. many weekend evenings during the winter months would find the large room turned into a private hangout. friends would come over and help me move my stereo and record collection out there from the house. black and white late night t.v., foosball, a blazing fire place complete with beer bottles melting inside and various 'disco' lights enhanced our funky little trip.
   climb up to the roof to look at 1 million stars or aurora borealis. possibly a late night ride into the dark forest. kids coming and going under the influence of 'refreshments' (probably not safe - ed.). an alberta clipper howling outside no match for the pioneer receiver inside, pushing my four large speakers to their breaking point. hendrix, the who, the beatles, the stones were  played without any objections. roxy music, t. rex, frank zappa or the clash tended to result in the reject lever on the turntable being pressed when my back was turned. oh well, I tried to educate you guys (wherever you are).
   I wish you could have been there.


(fury III, pole barn, lounge on the left with deck outside)














   

No comments :