2.08.2013

nicollet island.




   photos from a recent drive around nicollet island. what a neat neighborhood. amongst other things - the home of the iconic grain belt beer sign (some day a picture? - ed.) a historic and 'kinda funky'  neighborhood of minneapolis. 
   the neighborhood holds some personal history for me as well. an occasional 'hang out' for me in the old days, was a decrepit secluded train bridge on the northwest side of the island. it has since been restored and is now part of the parks system. at the time it was more likely to 'transport' transients, and other malcontents. 
   to this off the radar hangout, I took my future wife on the day we met, more than 26 years ago. I ran across her not far from here, just across the river at bristols (no longer extant) (not more than a stone's throw from nye's, by the way) I invited her for a ride on my motor bike. we stopped at a liquor store, picked up a 6 pack of beer, and went to the bridge for some summer fun (very trusting she was - ed.) 10 weeks later we were married. as I said, historic.


one of the buildings on the island has an orb behind it. a space capsule or some kind of weird and wonderful art piece. mysterious. anyone? guess I'll have to investigate further. building looks pretty cool too.






No comments :