6.08.2013

chinatown.


   here are some photos of  a recent visit to chinatown in san francisco california. it was a nice afternoon and perfect weather to be 'shopping'. it's always good to start at the chinatown gate and that's where we do start our visit.
   the 1st several photos are taken inside a shop at the 'gate'. there's probably 3.7 things in the whole giant shop that I find attractive, but the shear spectacle of the place was alluring in a decadent sort of way. and it's amusing to try and imagine who buys and decorates their home with the stuff inside (just my taste) 
   outside the shop a policeman chatted with a couple of gents casually smoking a joint. inside the owner's son told me that his family (not chinese by the way?) had owned the shop and building and the one across the street (and on the other side of the 'chinatown gate') for 35 years and were in the process of turning upper floors into condos. I wish I was the owner's son! oh well, I'm somebody's son. anyway, it was your usual stroll through the funny chinese owned shops along grant street and it was a nice day, so no complaints.






sorry Ihab, the most beautiful thing in this shop just walked in the front door and will be walking out shortly!





east meets west.









a tranquil spot to catch some z's, sleep tight fella!



   our visit to chinatown was mercifully brief as my lovely wife accomplished her gift buying goals quickly. sorry, the tourist stuff holds no interest for me, I hope someday I can really experience chinatown. what's that in the alley? what's behind this door? what's down these stairs? that's a chinatown (the real chinatown) I have yet to visit... still, as I've already stated, no complaints!

















No comments :