4.22.2013

art in the sticks.



   a weekend a little while back: the north art crawl. it's spread across a large area due north of minneapolis minnesota, in distant suburbs or in the rural areas beyond. I visited several of these artists on sunday.
   the day was pleasant. the music and the drive relaxing. above is a house I saw along the route. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on with this house, is it two units? it's interesting. kinda cool.
   these roads have been my stomping grounds for a long time and feel familiar. home. though there's quite a bit of distance between stacy and blaine (my teen circuit) I consider this whole area my home. I've had a few adventures out here believe you me. 
   65 hi was not far south of here. a dumpy drive in that I frequented on weekends in the summer along with a pile of other teenagers. I recall pulling in on a friday or saturday night and the place would be completely packed. dust choking the air during the 'exodus' in, and after each of the three movies. the back of the drive in: fete de rue. weird snack bar, weird movies, cool cars, nice weather and friends - what luxury.


   meanwhile back at the art 'crawl', things were really hopping as I checked out the stuff below:
   














all the cool pottery above is by chad jerzak.
it's 'raku barrel fired ceramic art'.
his stuff is great. I liked the more accidental stuff the most of all, but all of it was incredible.  
the piece below is by ken borchardt. it's bronze. his stuff was very interesting.
both of these guys were in a nondescript studio in blaine minnesota.








I must say it was a fine afternoon adventure 
full of reminiscing, cruising, tunes and seeing some nice art. 
thanks, chad and ken. if possible I'll try not to miss this next year. 
I didn't go to too many studios (four), 
but due to the distances between studios, that was about right.  
more 'incredible' north art crawl stories to come, 
for now, that's all she wrote.
sven.







No comments :